Thursday 26 February 2009

The 81st Academy Awards

I had intended to pass on the 81st Academy Awards, but somehow my mind got lured into it. My days of seeing every film, and keeping up on the Hollywood crowd has passed. The only exception would be 007 James Bond, and he’s more Pinewood Studios than Hollywood oriented. So I am not familiar with the current crop of actresses, and their activities to remain in the limelight. Names like Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Halle Berry, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Kate Winslet are all just a blur to me. I’m still stuck in the Faye Dunaway, Raquel Welsh, Bo Derek, Ursula Andress, and Julie Christie time frame. However, I believe I have seen enough films over the years to comment on Kate Winslet's "best actress" performance in “The Reader”. If you take out all the sex scenes and bathing scenes, with what are you left? Only some court scenes and bicycling scenes, which hardly add up to a searing Academy performance. But I guess after receiving six previous nominations and not winning, the seventh one is automatic. I have not seen the other nominees' movies, but surely the other four candidates portrayed more dramatic and compelling roles. But if this is considered the Oscar performance, why would I want to see the others?

No comments: