Tuesday 15 July 2008

JUST A SMALL TOWN GUY

There are times when friends or family may become a little too intrusive, or overbearing, and you must take remedial action or you will succumb to their every whim and whimper. The method I use is threats - I should say subtle and veiled threats, and innuendo. One of my tactics is to say “If you become too bothersome, then I may have to move, and go live somewhere else, like Moosomin, Saskatchewan. ”Where’s that?" "Oh, it’s a nice little place on the Trans-Canada, Hwy #1, just over the Manitoba border. Just far enough away to keep meddlesome people at bay."But in truth, it may fit the bill, as the type of community I secretly envy. For three decades I put up with the urban scene. Never at heart was I a "city dweller". After my stint with the phones, I would find that rural haven, and relish it until my days end. Not all my wishes fell into place, but enough of them to return to Morden. Morden, however, was in the cusp of its transition to a suburban existence. Because there cannot be duality of goods and services in such a small emerging trade area, Winkler became the name brand "super store" centre, with Walmart, Rona, Staples, etc. This gave Morden a "strip mall" status, thus having Morden’s population getting their goods and services in Winkler.So there you have it in a nutshell, with me being slowly dragged back into my former Winnipeg status of "city dweller". If an item or items is not to be had locally, off you go on a busy Hwy, to a huge parking lot, to a Big Box Store, with greeters you will never see again, and with endless product lines. You need a G.P.S. to find either your items or a clerk, and if you tire, there's a senior scooter available. They have cheese chests in these places as long as the lot your house sits on! Then you wait at the check out counter, and if that’s not to your liking, you can check it out and bag it yourself. That’s how grateful they are, that you have shopped there. When you exit and head towards your car or van, you find all the other vehicles look the same as yours. Doesn’t that make a person look foolish. As you leave the confines of Winkler, you note another structure being built, Oh! my, I wonder what store is going up there? It’s a Church you idiot! It’s the only competition the Big Box stores have around here.So I’m looking for that rural haven, that compact, at your doorstep, at your service, town and neighbourhood that has most of the amenities and necessities without the Name Brands, Big Boxes, and the eternal frustration factor. That place where you know the owners and staff, and they know you. Where you can see where you parked. Where people are helpful, cheerful, and amusing. Where life ebbs and flows with the pulse of its citizens, and is not dependent on the Friday sales flyers for a rush.You say it doesn’t exist? Then, my friend, check out Souris, Russell, and gold medallist Moosomin, Saskatchewan, as I have. Should you share my views, oh, how yon Mossomin beckons! I guess I’m just a small town sort of guy.

http://www.moosomin.com/




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Harold, Why would you even give the big boxes the satisfaction of a mention in your blog???? Most often, Morden businesses can provide everything we need. If we have to order, what difference does a day to two make?
Cheryl