Thursday 3 January 2008

Give me a break! OK?



There is that tiny bit of breathing space between Christmas and the New Year where you can do something normal, like catch a movie or something. I’m not talking about the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie caper either, although I personally know a mother who is totally enchanted by it. I took in an English adult script called "Atonement" - heady English stuff, but sorry, no review.
The thing that struck me was that prior to this movie commencing, was the change from years back. When T.V. and movies started to compete for a viewing audience, you could go to a movie and shut out the outside world. First you would view a cartoon, then possibly a Newsreel, a local theatre ad for popcorn and pop, previews (trailers) and finally, the feature presentation. All this for the sum of 25 cents and some years later as much as a dollar.
My theory is, at the time you didn’t begrudge paying this amount of money. With T.V. , you had those intrusive commercials, you had family or friends disturbing you, with some even changing the channel on you, depending on the pecking order, even if you only had three channels. So when you paid to see a movie that’s what you saw, as straight forward and uncomplicated as you can have it. But oh! no! not today, no sirree. First, we begin with movie trivia, then some supersized ads for the theatre concession, then wonder of all wonders, car ads, endless trailers for features due in March of 09, more ads, finally the main feature.
What a pile of unmitigated commercial rubbish, and what is the supreme insult ….. an $8.00 admission charge!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that, I hate dumb-ass movie trivia and the car ads are the last straw. I wish some rich guy would just build an old-timey theatre with all the fun stuff I'm too young to have experienced. 8 bucks is bad, but for a first run movie in my area I'm looking at 11! With the speed that movies go to DVD the machine gets you one way or another.

Anonymous said...

I am with angry Jed and Harold. I very seldom will go to a movie anymore due to the the "pre-movie junk". Unless it is some epic where you need to see the expanse of a big screen for great effect, I would just as soon rent and enjoy my movie time commercial free. I agree with Jed that the price is getting ridiculous - as far as I am concerned we are paying for the commercials. And with the speed that movies go to DVD, I won't have to wait long for the movie. But my criticizm is not just for my movie experience, our TV experience is also trash. "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" says it perfect. the other 38 minutes is commercials. And don't get me started on the logo's and tv show promos that now are put on the screen as we watch the show. You can be watching the most serious moment of a movie, and suddenly up pops up "watch the Dog Bounty Hunter" - taking up a big part of the screen. I could just scream. Because the entertainment big boys all play by the same rules, we, the viewing public are doomed.