Thursday 6 December 2007

HEROES and Cream Gravy


How many times have you heard the phrase “I could write a book”, from a friend, a relative, or other assorted types? The fact of the matter is that they never write one, not that it’s any big disaster. It’s just another over used phrase that people throw around. Well a chap by the name of Roy Heinrichs, who hung out around Haubstadt (translated means Halftown) and has now retired to Altona, has done just that, written a book. It’s called Heroes and Cream Gravy. It covers Roy and that of his families through the cycles of life from his youth, his teenage years, as a young farmer, then as a seasoned farmer, then as a retiree and Grandpa. It covers the era from 1951 to the present. It depicts incidents and a lifestyle that is familiar to most of us in Southern Manitoba, who have lived during this time.
It took me a few or more chapters to get into this book, and begin to appreciate the legacy Ron was leaving, for this generation and its heirs. That somewhat parallels one's own life and many others who live along the 49th. A snapshot (another over used word) of Saturday night baths, outdoor toilets, Kraft dinners, Wonder Oil, harvests, dreams, and jeans. Cream Gravy? It’s about the all time great Mennonite dish, cheese perogies, smothered in dark brown fried sausage dripping gravy.
Want to know more………..read the book!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is a first - I have never commented to a blog before. I will do this for every blog in the future. Thanks for the email. I agree about Mumma Bear's - just acceptable. I also agree that Applebees are awesome. I actually like Boston Pizza's ribs, a person has to ask for extra sauce on the side though, I like them "saucey". Your comment about writing a book, I have never heard anyone say they should write a book, but I actually over my vast life span have thought on and off about doing that, I actually had a thought a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness I snapped out of that idea. Ahhh - perogies with dark brown fried sausage dripping gravy - made in a "home" kitchen. You can get okay perogies at the Triangle, but nothing is like home made. That is also a distant memory. My dad would have really loved the book. I will have to tell my Aunt about it. Love the blog, a great way to also showcase you talent and interest in journalism. Pat